As a Human Resources professional with over eleven years of experience both as a recruiter and career coach, I can offer you advice on how to enhance your current resume or how to build the framework for a brand new resume.

No matter what the type of transition you are facing or what your goals are, I can help guide you. Ask away. I will do my best to provide with information to help you get that dream job with the best possible resume!

Having worked in both business and higher education, I know how crucial a resume is to opening the door to opportunities. I am passionate about helping you create a resume so employers will see what you can offer that is uniquely you!

Email me today at resumefoundations@gmail.com


Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Art of Handshakes!!

Recently, the topic of handshakes has come up in recent conversations both at work and outside of work so I thought I would provide my two cents on this topic.


First, I will share a story that happened to me at job fair a few months ago....I received the "bone crusher" (see below) handshake by an individual that not only made me wince, but when they went in for the second squeeze, I actually said "Ouch!" I tried so hard to be quiet, but the grip was so powerful and painful that I could not help but to react. The person did apologize and we tried to move away from the awkwardness, but it was just embarrassing on both sides. As an experienced professional, I tried to not let it create a bias, and moved on. That said, this can be very challenging to do, so you always want to be aware of your shake/grip!

If your grip is too hard, weak or "limp", and yes - sweaty- it will leave an impression on most recruiters and that impression could turn out to be a negative one. The reason why is simple. It is another way to gauge you as a person and your confidence level. It is crazy, I know, but think about it the next time you are in a position where you are thrust a hand to shake or you reach out to shake with another individual. You may not realize it, but you are starting to sum up that person based on that specific experience.

So, just a few tips:
1. Confidence is key and it extends throughout your body. Don't be afraid to firmly shake.
2. If you tend to get sweaty (it happens) then discretely dry your hands or wipe them off if possible.
3. Grip the hand - don't grab just the fingertips or part of the hand - nobody likes this one (the Fingertip Holder)
4. Squeeze firmly, not hard or too gentle.
5. If someone has a prosthetic arm/hand, partial arm/hand, or none at all, then take their lead; If there is no lead then don't be afraid to still "shake."
6. And last, but not list least - avoid placing both hands on the other person's one hand (The Glove). That is not necessary.

So now that you are ready - practice makes perfect! Try out your "shake" on a few friends or colleagues and get their feedback.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment